Pulse Breath Water, an interactive art piece that brings together three components: an immersive virtual environment (via Oculus Rift), embodied interaction (via breathing), and a reactive musical agent to generate unique experiences of the virtual world unified with the AI generated sonic environment.
The frequency of the user’s breathing provokes and challenges the interaction between the user and the environment. The reactive musical agent (AI) follows the user’s interaction and generates the sonic environment using a sound memory. Affective computing in sound is implemented in the system design to allow the agent to estimate the affective ratings of generated sound and of the sounds in the memory of the agent. Affective audio accompanies the moody atmospheres of impermanent and ever changing virtual environment.
- Directors: Kıvanç Tatar and Mirjana Prpa
- Generative Music and Signal Processing: Kıvanç Tatar
- Virtual Reality: Mirjana Prpa
- AI system design advisor: Philippe Pasquier
- VR advisor: Bernhard Riecke
- Prpa, M., Tatar, K., Riecke, B. E., & Pasquier, P. (2017). The Pulse Breath Water System: Exploring Breathing as an Embodied Interaction for Enhancing the Affective Potential of Virtual Reality. In the 19th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Vancouver, BC, Canada. Paper
- MUTEK_IMG – November 2016 – Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Scores+Traces – March 2016 – New York, NY, USA